Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Reflection

I have one specific even then changed who i em today.When i was in eight grade i was reckless.
When i was home i when to the garage with my Friend and brother because that's where all the "fun stuff" was. A few days before i was working on sharpening anything i could including a machete we bout for clearing tree saplings. It was over sharped in the seance it was now a giant scoupul not a blunt hacking tool as it is intended. I pulled it out of the fake leather sheath and stupidly with a firm grip. The blade was so sharp it cut right threw the sheath and into my middle and ring finger whale glancing my pinkie figer. You would think a injury like this would involve allot of screaming and panic. That was not the case for me I dropped the machete and look into my fingers. I saw right down into them all the muscle and the joint you could see. Then the blood cam steadily it bled. Again the predicted feeling was way off. It felt like hot sand falling out if the cut and i could feel my heart beat right in the cut itself. After all this happened i comely told my brother and Friend, "guys i just cut my hand bad we gotta go to the hospital". Essy for someone who drove but i didn't and my mom was at work so she was out on the emergency drivers list. So as i walk ed inside dripping a trail of blood as i went into the kitchen and to the sink my Friend called his mom. At the time no one thought to call 911 iron being that's what your parents tell you if something bad happens. After about twenty minutes of bleeding now i was starting to feel sick but still awake and my Friends mom got there. That signaled the mad dash to the ER. i couldn't however have my mangled hand below my heart or it bleed more. So being ingenious as we where my Friend used his shoes as a crutch to hold my arm up s i didn't need to hold it. At this point it was about thirty minutes of bleeding and my vision was starting to go out. Everything looks a shade of green and my peripheral vision was starting to go out too. We got there to the ER and instantly i was the star of the show. Little to no wait when your bleeding i discovered on that trip. After that i got a room all to myself and i waited i there for another ten minutes. At this point they put some stuff in it so it would clot. That made a mass of gelled blood the size of a dinner plate around my hand laying next to me. Meanwhile my mom got the news and was on her way. Every moms worst nightmare id say, having a kid in the ER with something like this. So when she got there and walked in i said the only thing thet cam to mind " check this out!". She looked at in for about half a second and went away outside. Then three nurses and a Doctor showed up, this was the fun part. One nurson my right and two on my left where the cut was. Doctor was doing his doctor thing and walking around the room talking. Then he comes over and says "can you move em", i try and nothing happens so he looks and says again in a kinda monition voice," you managed to cut both tendons in both your fingers. That's four total for those of you who don't know anatomy. Then came the stitch up. By far the repair work was much worse then the actual damage i caused. First came the beta dine, oh yeah they say it doesn't hurt but it dose in a gash like that. Felt like acid being dumped in the cut. By then i figured out why there was three nurses, to hold me down. i was kicking and pulling my arms. One nurse went in for the kill shot she stabedthe inside of the gash with a needle to numb the pain. Problem is it isn't fast acting so i felt the needle stick me every time. After that i was comer then before but still screaming and it still hurt like nothing i felt before. The stitching began, one after another the Doctor worked and this wasn't the most painful thing but shire was the hardest to watch for most people. all the clotted blood oozed out as the gash closed. After all that it was closed up wrapped in a brace and enough goze to pass me as a mummy. To shorten the story up it took over a year of physical therapy to get my fingers to work including microsurgery wuch was the real fun part of all of it. All fixed up now still the tips of those fingers don't move but I'm not complain. At least i still have fingers to move. This shaped my life in now i have a lasting reminder on how to be careful. And the years leading to my recovery i did and had to cope with things most people never will. So in this seeming tragic event i got out of it allot of good qualities of my personality.

2 comments:

  1. I found your event very interesting.You made it very detailed. But that was good that your mom's friend got there when she did. What were the other qualities that you gained from it? I would also have to agree that you were pretty reckless taking the machete out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I really have to say is ow, to the capital OW! I can't believe your hand survived the machete, you were really lucky. I had, well, not as drastic of an event happen to me and my pinky nail. I slammed it into the sliding glass door and almost lost my nail. I loved your comment to your Mom of "check this out!" The details that you put really put me in the momment of horror of the thought "Oh no."

    ReplyDelete